20 December 2005

Oreos and Twinkies



No, I'm not going to talk about sweet treats and yummy foods. But rather, I'm going to talk about categorizing people. If you're anywhere near Vancouver, you've heard of the term twinkie... or "banana" referring to asians who were raised in a western environment... probably eat non-asian food and likely are more western than eastern. They're often affectionately named: "twinkie." The reasons are obvious, I think... and if you really can't figure out why then email me and I'll enlighten you.

You might not have heard of "egg" referring to someone who's white outside, but knows more about Asia than Asians.

And just MAYBE you're heard of the term "oreo" which if you're following the pattern, is easy to figure out.

But there's no food group representing the jigga's and chigga's and wigga's. You know, people trying to be black... or getting all involved in black culture... dressin' up, and talking in ebonics etc.

I mean, in the end... i think it's stupid to label people as such... based on their skin colour... although it can be funny with the right people... as people are really a product of their environment. If I spent enough time in Japan, I would probably become very Japanese... my parents have been here longer than UK, and though there's this notion that UK is still home... in reality, "home" has changed so much that really... home is here in Canada.

I guess, though, it's different to different people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, well, we all know what an Asian trying to be black is...

Just crazy it is.